$1 Adoption

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Who's Pushing This Van?

Well, no exit papers by the close of business Saturday... This bummed me out. So, rather than drowning my sorrows in a large pack of Belgian cookies, I spent some time in prayer and then determined to wait the rest of the day to cancel my Sunday tickets home.  I figured if God could get my visa into the Congo so dramatically  and miraculously then He could certainly get us out the same way! It was not to be, and I could have been embarrassed (having shared my plan with those around me)  but i determined a long time ago that I will never feel stupid leaving room for God to be miraculous.
So we are staying a little longer.
We were picked up to go to church today by a really sweet American missionary family.  It was wonderful getting to know them over lunch afterward as well. They have been here for six and a half years (what am I complaining about right?) with Mission Aviation Fellowship.  Since MAF is based in Nampa, Idaho, we will get to see them again next year when they come through to their head quarters! Really great people and nice church. It was fun to hear Christams songs sung by an African choir! They were so awesome!
Saturday night we ventured out with a driver to the Shop Rite to have dinner at the fast food restaurant inside. Shop rite is a super ice (even by western standards) supermarket and it was decorated for Christmas with tree-shaped stacks of toys and lights and the whole bit! It took Moses a little bit by surprise and was slightly over stimulating.  But he loved the Hungry Lion... Similar to KFC,  the Hungry Lion is a chicken place and a welcomed change of fare. He particularly liked learning to use a straw! This was more of a challenge than I thought it would be and we both ended up with quite a bit of Sprite on us!
On the drive home we saw the newest big hotel to be built here, a high rise that has lights embedded into the outside and puts on a Vegas-worthy, multi colored light show at night. Now I know why our power goes out.
At one large intersection, we came to a stop and noticed a taxi van (think vanagon) moving very slowly through. It was PACKED with at least twenty people and moving at a snails pace. Then we noticed that it wasn't running, it was being pushed through the intersection... BY ONE MAN!!!
One guy pushing pushing twenty or so people through the intersection in a stalled vanagon! What a metefor  for this whole experience!!!
We had a good laugh with that one!
I am here with some really neat other families who are adopting. (some from Idaho even) 
I am so thankful for the fellowship and camaraderie, it has been great getting to know them all.
Keep you all posted on the exit papers and homecoming flights!  Thanks for your prayer and for keeping with us by reading this little blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment