$1 Adoption

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sunday go to meetin'... I mean Market

I heard an amazing Kyrie being being sung at St. Anne's church this morning... As we walked past it to go to the supermarket!  I know, we skipped church... Worse things have happened. Besides, I couldn't risk the market being closed like it was yesterday, and even though ppl said it would be open on Sunday I still had to check early.  That way if it was closed I could arrange for transportation to another market... That could take all day and into the night here, so... I skipped church, stuck Moses Blessing into the backpack (he's pretty big for it, but thinks its awesome) and headed off through the compound gate and toward the market.  It was open. And apparently Sunday is the day to see and be seen at the market cause half of Kinshasa was there! All of the Europeans, UN folks and Americans had the same idea I did, I guess.  And, like me, they all seemed surprised by the others!
So, I just had to get a few things to help our budget stretch so we don't have to pay to eat every meal at the dining room here this week.  After getting the necessities and a little something yummy (that bag of cubed Gouda was screaming at me from the shelf, i swear) 
I went to the check out. I told the checker I needed my total in dollars instead of francs (I can't deal with all those zeros) and she politely said, in French: "that will be $95.00 monsieur" my French Is terrible, but even i could understand that!!!  $95!?!?!?  After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I asked to see the register screen where I noticed that the Pull-ups were $35 and the thing of paper bowls was $30!!!  So I saved myself $65 and handed them back to her and asked her to remove them... Si vous plei and merci!  And we think groceries are getting expensive in the states! Somebody needs to show these folks extreme couponing!
Yeah... 

So Moses Blessing and I polished of a small bag of Gouda cubes today with lunch... He is gonna fit right in at home!
We walked around a lot in between storms.  we woke up this morning to one of the loudest thunderstorms I have ever heard, the whole building shook. Then the sun came out and it got to around 31 or 32c... (Americans can google that!) pretty hot and the humidity makes it feel heavy.  
We picked up our room and separated laundry for tomorrow and just hung out together.  We are praying for his visa to be finished tomorrow!  The major blessing in this process taking so long though is that I get to spend three weeks with my son! Just me and him! That is cool no matter what country you are in... Though I could think of a few...

The Internet has been coming and going a lot the last 24 hours or so, st. Anne's is on a generator that switches on and roars to a start when we lose power. It's nice, and it's loud! And every time it happens the router reboots! I have learned to work offline and then Jump on and be done as quick as I can! I have also learned to accept small typos and errors in my writing... It makes me crazy, but the alternative is unbearably tedious.  Not to mention, the Internet here is like one, giant dial-up line (remember those?) that everyone in the whole city ( 7million+)  has a wireless router attached too! It's a bit dodgy at best!

Please feel free to comment or ask questions on Facebook or email, i would love to read them, if the signal is strong enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment