$1 Adoption

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I Love the Taste of Deet in the Morning

So i thought i was Getting a sore throat... Til I remembered that earlier Moses Blessing had said something while i was spaying myself with bug spray. With out thinking I answered "what"? And as I did so I Injested  a bunch of 40% Deet bug spray... You know, the heavy duty camping kind. It was gross. So I'm not sick, I just have a chem lab growing in my throat.

The time difference seems like no big deal, but 8 hours of difference between here and home in Boise is starting to feel like forever! We wake up just as they go to sleep and are prepping for dinner when Boise wakes up. It makes me thankful for my European and East Coast friends who post to Facebook or are making news during our day here! It helps keep me in the loop and not make me feel like I am in.... I don't know, say the Congo?
Today, Moses Blessing gave me a 'thumbs-up' for his peanut butter and jelly sandwich!  I have been working with him on this for a while and he finally did it, unrehearsed and unprompted.
He is really enjoying his photo book of Kate and the girls and as we flipped through it again today I noticed that there are pics of the girls from this whole last year, with varying hairstyles, changing ages, lost teeth and Violet from zero to six months.  I hope he doesn't  think we are going home to about twenty different sisters!    
We are doing ok without the $35 pull-ups (see earlier post) just two accidents in the last few days.
We had some laundry done, we gave it to them Monday and picked it up today. I provided a very thorough list of each item by color and size. I went out to get it and they pointed to baskets all around the room with, what seems like, every single other guests laundry in them! I took my list and went through each basket until I had found everything! Can't complain, just thankful to have some clean clothes!
no news of exit papers yet, hoping to hear something tomorrow, Thursday.
Another parent saw a rat here in the house last night, running down the hall! I thought I had heard scratching in the walls last weekend and that confirms it!  AND Contrary to our interpreter's assurances, we saw a GIGANTIC spider yesterday as well! Good times. Nearly all of you have heard or seen first hand my love of spiders, so I was not pleased. Not pleased at all. It was sort of on the out side of the building tho and after a few snapshots were taken, it met an untimely death. Gross. It was about the size on an iPhone, legs and all.
The guest house is surprisingly clean though and has a very capable staff who make sure it stays that way, including the occasional ant infestation or cockroach.
I think I have mentioned it before, but Moses Blessing is a very tidy kid. He likes everything clean and orderly, in fact one of the words he learned first and uses multiple times a day is "garbage". He loves to put stuff in the basket and put the basket out for housekeeping to pick up. He loves to separate out the recycling and strains to finds small piece of trash to put in to the garbage.
He also loves to brush his teeth... Much to his mothers delight!
Today was reall pretty, sunny and about 24 with a nice breeze coming over the river. I may have mentioned this before too (sorry it all runs together) but Kinshasa where we are (Democratic Republic of Congo)  and Brazzaville (the capital of Repulic of Congo) face each other on opposite sides of the Congo River. Apparently this is the only place in the world that two capital cities of separate nations can literally see each other! It is pretty amazing what you learn around here talking to those passing through and spending hours googling what there is to do in the DRC!
...each time I check Google still says..  "nothing"

No comments:

Post a Comment