$1 Adoption

Sunday, November 25, 2012

One week down...

We have moved! Across the Gombe region of the city to Saint Anne's guest house. It is a much larger compound, which is great because Blessing left no rock unturned at the last place. This is an old(1922) catholic guesthouse with beautiful grounds and it is next door to the U.S. embassy  and a large supermarket. All good things. We could have been going to the dentist for all I  care though,  we have been cooped up for days and it was nice just to get out!
If you have never been to Africa, (or a war torn third world nation) then you may not have experienced "compound living". Where every home or business of any standard is behind no less than 8 foot walls and iron gates. Not so bad at first, but as days wear on and you are not able to leave, for safety reasons(or because you just adopted a super-curious, two year old-ish boy!) it can get a little claustrophobic and monotonous. All those who know me are aware of how "well" I deal with monotony. In fact, today at lunch when someone commented on the lizard in the courtyard, I heard myself say "oh yeah he's been out there for an hour and 45 minutes or so and hasn't moved.  Wait... Is that really what I just did with an hour and forty-five minutes of my time? Watch a lizard?!?!
I suddenly see the path to seeing imaginary friends... and it starts with a lizard.

Blessing had a good day. He smiled a lot today and only cried a few times, like when I said "no, you cannot have a Powerbar" ( thank you Jan, you have made a lifelong congolese friend)
Speaking of friends, I am amazed at how many amazing friends and family that Kate and I have.  As I tell the other families about our road to getting here, the giving, the prayer, the support, the Postal Service craziness and yes, the Powerbars, they all comment on what a cool support system we have. I tell them yes, we have the best family, friends, church and life group on the planet!!!  I am a little emotional as I type this part but, I really wish you each could understand what it feels like to be here and to know that people back home and all over the world are praying for you, pulling for you and helping your wife and kids still at home. It's humbling.

*deep cleansing breath*
So,  we are still here, waiting to hear something from the embassy and we are praying for good news from them in the morning.
Oh, I almost forgot... Blessing had his first piece of pizza tonight and liked it! It was actually, relatively good pizza too, unlike some of the "pizza" that you run across on this continent.

No comments:

Post a Comment