$1 Adoption

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Cause there is no such thing as Turkey Nuggets

Last night we went to a Swiss chef's (say that three times fast) French restaurant for our Thanksgiving Celebration! We tried explaining the tradition and holiday to Jules, our local connection, but really, how can you explain what we TRULY do on thanksgiving.... We eat, too much... Blah blah blah.

It was fun to watch Blessing have chicken nuggets and frites, as well as his first ice cream! He went to sleep full and happy with family, on this day that's pretty much the idea right?

I had a nice filet and ice cream as well, hello.  Blessing needed to use the restroom three times during dinner and on the last trek I realized that I was supposed to have been paying each time for him to use the leu! So I handed the 3 men at the door (yes  three, i guess no job is too small for a supervisor) a wad of bills on my way past and hoped it would cover it. I'm not yet used to the monetary conversion here yet, besides, what do you pay three guys that watch the bathroom?
We laid low today and took lots of walks around the increasingly small compound here.
It was Congo-Hot again today, ending after sunset with a flurried electrical storm. Mosquitoes are bad tonight. They don't seem as bent on biting me as they do just buzzing around and as I am all dosed up on malaria meds, I'm not sure which is worse at the moment the buzz or the bite!
Blessing has loosened up a lot today, relaxing and just being a kid, until he notices someone watching him, then he is straight faced. Twice now he has pushed for me to make him cup-o-soup, and I reluctantly have agreed. Both times he hasn't even tried it! So now I am not making it again for him! He is eating the same meals I am so I know he's not hungry!

He was crying today for an extended period because I had told him no about something else (God forbid) and a little while later, two sweet French ladies that are staying next door stopped by to see if I needed anything! They sounded so nice with they're sweet little accents and broken English, but I know what they were really saying was "should they be letting you take home a kid?" after entertaining they're niceties for a few minutes, I excused myself and went inside to bring out our family photo album. Oui, oui ladies! Not only are they letting me take home this little guy, but here are pictures of the tribe waiting to initiate him when he gets home!
We have colored, played, walked, eaten, cleaned, played made cup-o-noodles and walked some more and now it's off to bed with him! And me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment