$1 Adoption

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Ambien... and other vitamins




It has been an interesting 24 hours as I have taken custody of Moses Blessing and had him all by myself.  I picked him up at the clinic where he was receiving his vaccinations for travel and while it may not have been the most joyful of days it was made better by the fact that I took him after he had received the shots and therefore i "rescued" him from those terrible-mean doctors! Daddy points!
He had already had a low grade fever (not uncommon here) so the shots aggravated that and needless to say we had a Looooong night. I did get a few hours of sleep before we had to be up and ready for our embassy appointment first thing.
 Part of my morning routine in most foreign countries is to pop a Zophran under my tongue on the way to breakfast to stop motion sickness. ( a few of you have witnessed what happens when I do not)  Zophran is a kind of sweet, fast dissolving little white pill... I call it a wonder drug! 
So imagine my surprise when the little white pill I popped under my tongue was not dissolving very well and started to taste nasty! Spitting it out i discovered that instead of Zophran I had taken the surprisingly similar looking AMBIEN!!!  While AMBIEN is a wonder drug of its own right, it is definitely not what I needed just before our appointment with the U.S. Consular General for the DRC! I downed an extra Nescafé at breakfast, just in case I had left it under my tongue too long!
So, I suppose a day could always be worse.

It is the rainy season here so it has been pouring on and off since I arrived. So much that yesterday the street outside our compound looked like an extremely muddy version of the Boise River, no joke. As we pulled up to the cross street I thought "oh great, we are gonna have to walk all five blocks to get to the gates of the guest house" I was wrong, because right about then our driver (in an very small Mazda mini van thingy) gunned it and drove us upstream and up to our door! We must have floated part of the way because there is no way that car could do that! I have seen RAFTS that couldnt do that!  
So yes, the weather here has been damp to say the least.... That is until today when the clouds broke and the blue sky opened up so the sun could shine! This was fantastic as I was feeling the need for a little vitamin D.  The sun is great, the only problem is that when the sun comes out here in the DRC, it gets what I now call "Congo-Hot". I been to a few tropical regions in my short life, but this Congo-Hot is truly something!
Yes, is been a very interesting 24hours or so. Moses Blessing is doing pretty well. There are the challenges that come from being handed over to a complete stranger, but he is warming up to me. Today at lunch he ate all of his steak and most of mine. I use the word steak very loosely here. It was kind of tasty and tasted like beef most of the meal, but it had its moments. And as always in situations like these.... It's better not to know. Some meals you would just rather call tasty instead of the proper name for it.
So that's all for now, thanks for all of your prayers for a speedy wrap up on this end. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and since no one here cares, I thought Moses and I would hit the Chinese Buffet here(I've heard it exists) cause there sure aren't any turkeys running around here and I figure the Chinese Buffet will give me that sickly full feeling just as well as Thanksgiving Dinner can!

No comments:

Post a Comment